Enjoy canned tuna or have a lot of it on-hand? Change it up and learn how to make warm and satisfying Tuna Cakes recipe which are rather similar to crab cakes and the best part? They are quick and easy!
Tuna Cakes Recipe
Elevate your canned tuna game and try making these easy Tuna Cakes. Enjoy them alone with tartar sauce or aioli, atop a salad, on a bed of arugula (my favorite way), or as a sandwich. You most likely have the ingredients on-hand to make this recipe and you can have it on the table in 20 minutes or less.
- solid white tuna fish-
- 1 large egg yolk
- scallions sliced thin
- shredded onion
- fresh chopped parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- A bit of lemon zest fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (or more fresh breadcrumbs)
- Black pepper to taste however don’t be shy
- Pinch or two of salt
- Olive or grapeseed oil for frying
- 2 TBS chopped jalapeno for heat or (green or red peppers)
- 3 TBS celery chopped small
- A couple of dashes of cayenne (red) pepper for heat
Tips for Success When Making Tuna Patties / Cakes
- You can use any type of tuna fish for this however the best for taste and texture, in my opinion, is solid white tuna packed in water.
- Be sure to drain your tuna well.
- You can also use freshly cooked tuna for this, just flake the tuna from the cooked steak you want the texture to be similar to a crab cake when yo do this. You may need to add a second yolk as a binder.
- Use a non-stick pan to cook these.
- Heat the pan over med-high heat, once the pan is hot add just enough oil to glaze the bottom of the pan, allow the oil to heat (not smoke) and add cakes.
Serve these with tartar sauce, a simple lemon, and herb aioli or a vinaigrette like a lemon vinaigrette or even Greek salad dressing.
We love any comments or questions, please feel free to leave them below!
Keep up to date with recipes by following me on:
Enjoy the recipe, be sure to leave a 5-star rating below.
Easy Tuna Cakes
- 10 ounce tuna fish one large can or two small
- 2 large egg yolk or two smaller yolks
- 2 TBS sliced scallions
- TBS shredded onion
- 2 TBS chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs more if needed
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- olive oil for frying
- Drain tuna, be sure to get as much liquid from the tuna as you can.
- Combine all ingredients except oil in a mixing bowl and using your hands combine mixture and then form into 5-6 patties.
- Heat a non-stick pan or skillet, add oil. Once oil is hot (but not smoking) gently add tuna cakes. Do not crowd them (depending on the size of your pan, you may need to cook in batches). Cook cakes until browned and crisp, flip gently and repeat.
- We are not registered dieticians, we do our best to provide the most accurate nutritional values. Any nutritional data we provide is an approximation. Actual dietary information can vary based on ingredients and portion sizes