Chicken with Wine Sauce and Mushrooms is an elegant dinner that is easy enough for a week night meal. No one has to know that you were in the kitchen for only 30 minutes!
This chicken dish tastes as if it came from a restaurant. It is made in one skillet and perfect when you need to get dinner on the table quick. It is so special that I frequently serve it when we have company.
Ingredients Needed for Chicken with Wine Sauce and Mushrooms:
Thin cut chicken cutlets – I buy packages of thin cut chicken cutlets for this recipe. It really is a big time saver. Sometimes they are not available or you might want to buy a bulk package of whole chicken breasts to save money. If this is the case, you can pound them into thin cutlets yourself.
Mushrooms – Regular white mushrooms work in this recipe but I love using baby bella mushrooms. They are sturdy and meaty so they hold their shape after cooking.
Flour – Use all purpose flour to coat the cutlets
Olive oil – This is used to coat the pan. Just a little is needed as we are sauteing the chicken cutlets.
White Wine – I like to use a light Pinot Grigio but use what ever wine you are drinking. But it doesn’t have to be an expensive bottle. If you use cooking wine from a grocery store, check the labels. Many times they have added salt so if you use this type, make sure to adjust the salt and seasonings. If you would rather not use alcohol, chicken broth can be substituted as noted in the recipe card.
Seasonings – Seasoned salt is perfect for this recipe. I also use salt and pepper to taste at the end of the recipe. Everyone is comfortable with different amounts.
Butter – A little is used to thicken the sauce at the end of cooking.
Fresh Parsley – Fresh herbs are always best because they add freshness and color to everything. If you can’t get fresh, you can sprinkle on some dried parsley too.
Sides to serve this chicken dish with:
Chicken with Wine Sauce and Mushrooms can be served with pasta, rice or potatoes. Here are a few side dish recipe suggestions:
Cuban Cauliflower Rice and Beans
If you are looking to stay low carb then this is a great choice for dinner. Here are some sides to keep the whole meal low carb too:
Oven Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Zest
I hope you will try this simple chicken recipe. The cooking and clean up is easy. It is a great way to get a restaurant style meal on your dinner table quick!
Chicken with Wine Sauce and Mushrooms
- 1 pound thin cut chicken cutlets (boneless, skinless)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus extra if needed
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 10 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle the chicken cutlets with seasoned salt on both sides. Lightly dip in the flour. Set on a plate.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes on each side, until chicken is no longer pink. If all the chicken does not fit, cook in two batches. You might need to add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan for the second batch. Transfer the chicken to a plate and keep warm with a piece of foil on top.
- Add the wine to the pan. Deglaze the pot by making sure to stir up all the brown bits from the bottom. When the liquid starts to simmer, add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until they are softened. Add the butter to the sauce and stir well until melted and sauce is simmering.
- Return all the chicken to the pan. Pour a bit of the sauce over the chicken, reduce heat and cover. It is okay if the pan is a little crowded. Cook for 5 minutes or until juices run clear and chicken is cooked through. It should be at 165 degrees if using an instant read thermometer.
- Sprinkle chicken with parsley. Transfer chicken to a serving plate, spooning sauce and mushrooms on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste.